Friday, March 28, 2008

Warning: This post contains references to menstruation (!?!)

Yesterday I went to visit a women´s organization in an indigenous community which was very interesting. But before I get to that adventure I would like to share my lastest "Sandra anecdote." When I first arrived in Ecuador I was very concerned with being culturally sensitive. I was careful to ask Sandra how she would like me to dispose of my feminine products, knowing for example, that women here rarely wear tampons because they are considered to be slutty and take away one´s virginity. Sandra assured me that as long as I wrapped them well in toilet paper there would be no problems. Great. Cool. So today, I was called into the bathroom to look at the trash can. Apparently the wrapping in toilet paper applies not only to the actual sanitary waste but also to the wrapping. A sheet from a panty liner was ON TOP of the garbage can and clearly visible! I was told that I must do a better job of wrapping and burying all traces of my sanitary waste, including the packaging because otherwise (God forbid!) people will KNOW that I am having my period and in Sandra´s words, translated from Spanish, "That is so ugly." I wasn´t really sure if I should be offended or laugh. I kind of wanted to tell Sandra about how Wagner sometimes gets into my trash at home and drags my used tampons through the house. I guess that doesn´t leave much mystery as to whether or not I am menstruating. I know it´s not a big deal, but honestly, why is something that is so natural and healthy considered to be shameful and dirty!? It is just another sign of women´s opression. I won´t say that to Sandra, but I kind of just want to tell her to shove it. She´s seriously worried about the wrapper from my tampon!? Okay, that is enough. If James is reading this he has probably passed out at the computer by now. Sorry if I was too explicit.

The visit to the women´s organization was actually not very well planned or executed but I still learned quite a bit. Following in the theme of women´s liberation, I learned that domestic violence and sexual abuse are a huge problem in indigenous families. This particular organization which now exists in 24 communities, was formed by 15 women who decided enough was enough. When one woman was beaten brutally by her spouse, these 15 women banded together, dragged him down to the river and gave him a ritual cleansing with ortiga (which is kind of like stinging nettle only worse.) Apparently they had to do this various times before the message sunk in. Today women are much more respected in these communities. Domestic violence has declined dramatically, women are equally represented in the provincial indigenous organization and their opinions are valued. They no longer have to sit on the floor while the men take the chairs. Of course there is still a ways to go. Only one third of girls attend secondary school right now because the average age of marriage is still 15 or 16. I don´t want to be a cultural imperialist and say that early marriage is objectively bad but I do know that getting pregnant at that age does carry signifigant health risks - and that is an objective fact. Also, early marriage is one of the obvious obstacles to women continuing their education.
The women´s organization has a really neat cooperative now in which they raise alpacas and guinea pigs, grow vegetables, weave, grind their own flour, and cultivate fish. They are trying to preserve native species and all of their methods are completely organic. The women share all the goods they produce in order to combat malnutrition. They also sell the products and use the funds to maintain a lending system of credit. It was incredible to see how empowered these women are. Many of the men in the community have to migrate for work so these women really have taken things into their own hands. Aunt Donna, I was thinking about you a lot while I was there because I know how much you have worked on issues of domestic violence and women´s empowerment. I thought you would really like this field trip. Also, just so everyone knows, the organization is supported a lot by Oxfam, which I have heard elsewhere is a pretty great charity. In this case it seems like they are putting their funds to good use.

That´s all I´ve got for now. I definitely have been feeling a little more homesick of late so feel free to send an email. It would make me very happy :)

2 comments:

Liz said...

first of all... hahaha about the menstruation thing. Like seriously... what's the big deal? And secondly, the women's group sounds pretty awesome. I want to do things like that when I grow up. Maybe. We'll see.

PS you're beautiful!

Anne said...

Addy, I seem to recall something about menstruating women being ostracized because their power was feared: that if a woman touched a weapon then it would render it useless. (I don't know if that's true but hey, if only...)
Just remember: womanhood is powerful, my sistah!