Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The First 24 Hours in Quito

Well, I got in safe and on time yesterday afternoon. My host mother, Sandra, and my littlest brother Mikael, picked me up from the airport in their SUPER retro car. I´m going to have to photograph it because it´s too hard to describe. My house is part way up a long, steep hill. The city is really hilly - it reminds me of San Francicsco, even though I´ve never been there. All the houses have high walls and gates and ther is this guy named Angel who is like a paid Neighborhood Watch guard who looks after the street and helps carry your groceries and stuff. We are right in the shadow of the big volcanic mountain, Pinchincha. My room is very tiny but it has everything I need. It is right in the front of the house and two of the walls are frosted glass so it is kind of hard to sleep when other people are watching TV or something since it is noisy and bright.

The climate here is beautiful so far, although I think I already got a sunburn because of the high altitude, haha. Sandra is REALLY nice. She took me to the grocery store yesterday and bought lots of exotic fruit for me to try. We made juice out of naranjillas last night which are these little tangy things that look like yellow tomatoes. She also took me to the Old City last night and it was SOOO beautiful! I can´t wait to go back! It´s full of old churches and mueseums - Dad you would have a blast here. You must come visit.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like I was gonna puke so today I am trying to eat really lightly in case it was the altitude adjustment messing with my stomach. That was not pleasant. But so far everything else has been great. My mom had to work today -she gives tours. This morning it was just me and Mikael who is really sweet. We went to the park together and played a little basketball.

There is also an internet cafe like two blocks from my house (where I am right now) so that is pretty awesome. I haven´t met anyone else from my trip yet but I am going to orientation this afternoon. Apparently some of my fellow Americans live in the same neighborhood so one of them and their host mother are picking me up at 2:00. I guess that is all for now. I will try to write again soon. I see Obama did well last night. That makes me VERY happy.

Also, Mumtaz and Papyrus: I miss you guys soooo much! But I´ll just keep taking it one day at a time :) I hope everyone is well.

No comments: