Today I went to a soccer game. The stadium is way up in the north of Quito. We got there over an hour early but the seats were great - very close behind the goal. Soccer fans are pretty nuts. From what I understand this wasn´t even really a big game, but the people in our section did not sit down for the entire game. They were on their feet cheering and singing the entire time. A couple guys had giant drums and they played constantly and led the fans in a series of cheers that I didn´t understand. The only one I did understand was when the ref made a bad call. I´m not gonna repeat what they were saying, but needless to say, it wasn´t very nice.
The game was between La Liga, which is one of the best teams. They wore white. The visitors were La Nacional and they wore red. Both teams were from Quito, but we rooted for La Liga. I had just recently watched a documentary about one of their players, Augustin Delgado. It was about racism in soccer (he is Afro-Ecuadorian.) The game ended in a tie, 2-2. The fans are dismissed seperately afterwards to avoid a fight. During the game 5 playeres had to be carted off on the little medical truck. There was also a fight during which about 50 policemen who were standing at the ready, stormed the field. The ref also issued a red card and about 4 or 5 yellow cards during the game. So yeah, playing dirty is pretty standard. The one thing I couldnt´stand was how everyone faked injuries to try to get the call. Sometimes they were really hurt but I quickly become desensitized and unsympathetic because more often they were just being super dramatic.
Everything was going great till I noticed after the game that my bad had been slashed open. Luckily I had nothing of value with me - only my cheap sunglasses were stolen along with the makeshift case my mom had given me (it was really just an old makeup bag.) Luckily they didn´t get my phone or money which I had in a seperate pouch. They could have made off with my lunch, daytimer, or umbrella, but I think all those things were pretty unappealing. It gives me some small pleasure to think that the bastard didn´t get much out of it. But seriously, I was pretty upset. The loss of my bag is actually the worst blow. I have no way to carry my lunch and books for school. I´m always so careful! I can´t think when it could have happened! Anyway, it makes you feel pretty stupid and also kind of violated.
Sandra says she may take my bag in to get fixed! Can you imagine? In the US we would just buy a new one cause that would be cheaper than trying to fix the old one. The Ecuadorians have got it right on that count. Aren´t you proud Uncle Carl?
Other highlights of this weekend: a visit to the Panecillo and some barhopping on Friday night. Also, this morning my grandma invited me for breakfast and made this amazing thing! It was a glass about a quarter filled with the best fresh squeezed orange juice. The other three quarters was all this creamy merengue stuff. The combo of bitter and sweet was DELICIOUS! We also ate some of the cream on a flaky little cracker/cookie thing. It seemed more like desert than breakfast, but I´m not complaining!
Anne and Ranjit and Julia: Thanks so much for the comments! I really appreciate it! Also, shout out to Dave for his emails! I´d love to hear from more of you and see how you´re all doing!
Addy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whoa, that stuff about the bag is pretty scary! Seems you're having an awesome time, though, so yay! I don't remember when you said you'd get back, but hopefully we'll get to see each other sometime over the summer!
Post a Comment