Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beautiful Morning

I am in high spirits this morning because for the first time in a couple weeks it is really clear outside - no fog, clouds, or smog to speak of. That means that I can actually see all the gorgeous snow capped mountains surrounding Quito. They had been hiding for weeks now! Now that they are revealed again the whole city looks so amazing.

I am heading to the beach tomorrow on the night bus. I´m reminded of Harry Potter, haha. But this bus doesn´t actually have beds so I hope that I will be able to sleep and won´t be awake for 10 hours... I am really excited to see the beach but I don´t know what to expect since it is the Pacific ocean. I think it might be better water for surfers than for me.

Yesterday at my internship we had a 5 hour meeting that was awesome - full of jokes, chatting, and food. We planned our workshops for the next couple weeks. I am going to be helping out a lot more, as part of a pair of facilitaters and occasionally by myself! Can you imagine me in a room with 25 seventeen year olds talking about contraceptives and sexually transmitted infections IN SPANISH? Whoa. I am terrified but really excited. Luckily I don´t have to go solo for a couple weeks so I have some time to learn and practice the information and the vocabulary.

Tonight is the birthday of yet another of my compatriots. More fiesta. I really think I´m going to have to learn to live without sleep. But who knows? Maybe I´ll finally find myself a cute Ecuadorian guy...

2 comments:

Simone said...

I've never really thought about it before, but having snow capped mountains so close is a really weird concept since it's summer. I pretty much get the science part, but that is so neat that it's just part of your surroundings there.

It seems to me that it will be especially exciting to talk about contraceptives et al in a Catholic country! (Unless they are just nominally Catholic? You'll have to fill me in here. But totally awesome either way.)

Unclejohn said...

Hi Addy - Glad the weather finally cleared up so you can see where you are. Sounds like you're seeing some really wondeful stuff. I love those hot springs - always wished we had some here in the northeast, might help us get through these endless winters. Good luck with the programs with the 17 year olds - you know what a handful they can be. Hope the Easter Conejito brings you some big huevos chocolate (how's my Spanglish?). Thinking of you. Addy-os, Amigo. Love, Uncle John