Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Addy´s First Camping Trip

This past weekend I went camping for the first time ever. No one in my group could believe I had never been camping before (and I was actually pretty flattered because they were admiring how well I managed the hike - I was up in front the whole time :) Obviously I have been hiking and I like hiking. I´ve just never spent the night out in the wilderness in a tent. One of the main reasons for this is my fear of bugs. This trip was ideal because we were high up in the mountains and although that meant that it was cold, rainy, and hard to breathe, there were NO bugs!

The trek itself was actually really hard. We all had giant packs on our backs and mine wasn´t even one of the heaviest ones but I had a sleeping bag, sleeping mat, extra clothes, sandals, tennis shoes, four giant cans of tuna, a 2 liter bottle of water, and some other foods strapped to my back. My neck and shoulders hurt bad. We hiked about 5 miles each day but Saturday we were climbing up mountains a lot more so it was a little tougher. I don´t know how exactly to describe the terrain because it´s not like anything I have seen in the United States. We were in the mountains but they were not rocky mountains. Instead they were mushy and swampy and they had virtually no trees - just tall grass and scrubby brush. Even the most experienced backpackers on our trip said it was the muddiest hike they had ever been on. There were sink holes that sucked in your leg up to the knee! All of us were completely dirty and covered in mud by the end of the trip.

The camp site was near this beautiful lake that we could see for the first time from far above in the mountains. It was cool to climb down and watch it get bigger and bigger. Overall I really enjoyed the experience but I definitely wouldn´t call it relaxing. I was exhausted by the end, especially since I barely slept in the tent. I was super uncomfortable and freezing despite my extra layers and sleeping bag. I will definitely go camping or backpacking again but I´m not sure I´m ready for a week long trek and I definitely wouldn´t want to go camping every weekend. Also, I peed in the woods, but number 2 will have to wait till my next camping trip...

In other news, I got my first taste of the stress I will endure when I return to the US. Don´t make me come home! I don´t want to worry about plane tickets, registering for classes, Honors theses, or finding an apartment for this summer! I´ve gotten so used to not being stressed out: no anxiety or panic attacks or not being able to fall asleep at night. I´m not ready to go back to that!

I want to see my lovely family, but I don´t want to return to any of my responsibilities. What do you think? Can that be arranged?

No comments: