Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Are we there yet?

Okay, so I realized I hadn´t written in a while and I figured I should. It´s not as though nothing has happened in the last two weeks. I had a date with an Ecuadorian boy. Then I dumped said Ecuadorian boy. There is a lot more I could say about that....but I won´t. You´ll have to ask me when I get back.

I also went to Otavalo market and bought a whole bunch of cool handmade things. Otavalo is about 2.5 hours from Quito and is a mainly indigenous area. The market is enormous, everything is cheap, and everything is handmade. We´re going back in 9 days and I plan to buy even more stuff! That will be part of our 3 day stay with indigenous families which I am pretty excited about.

I gave my first workshop in a school all by myself and several more after that - on the subjects of sexually transmitted diseases, contraception, and love. That was fun. I am getting a quite a vocabulary to talk about sex, haha. The weather in Quito has been really nice and sunny lately but no change of season and a real dearth of flowers and green space. I can´t believe I´m missing spring! This weekend I might go to Mindo. My house is quieter now because my brother left to go to France for two weeks but I like it, especially in the mornings. I should probably take advantage and try to sleep in while I can. Once he comes back my mom will scream at him every weekday at 6:45 that he is going to miss the bus.

And....I WANT TO COME HOME. I know it is only a month till I go to Galapagos but that seems like a long time right now. I really don´t know if I´m gonna make it. Ugh. Last week I was so busy and happy but now I am bored again. Boredom = homesickness. I should probably try to find something to do, huh?

In other news, I am getting really sick of being sexually harassed everywhere I go. There is one guy in particular who I work with who I really think is a creepy sexual predator. Next time he says something inappropriate I´m afraid I might snap. I honestly am SUPER uncomfortable with him but it is a cultural difference so I think I´m expected to just deal with it. And it might be more awkward if I tried to tell him he makes me uncomfortable. Oh well, for now I will just deal with it.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Just be a bitch to people who sexually harass you if you don't feel like taking their shit. Thats just as socially acceptable as just ignoring it. And it's kind of fun! :)